Sunday, December 13, 2015

Christmas Card Series 2015 - Day Eleven | Merry Christmas (Video)

Hello everyone. Today I'm here with Day Eleven of my Christmas Card Series of 2015.

Today's card features Mama Elephants Reindeer Games stamp set along with some Distress Inks for a water-coloured background and Zig Clean Colour Real Brush Pens for the colouring.


So to begin my card today I just stamped out all of my images from the Reindeer Games set by Mama Elephant with some Versafine Onyx Black Ink and then coated the images with some Clear Embossing Powder. I do this because then when I go to watercolour the lines are raised and my colour stays within the image easier. I then heat set the powder with my heat tool and I was ready to watercolour.

For my water-colouring today I decided to go with my Zig Clean Colour Real Brush Markers again to do some quick colouring, because these markers are quite easy to use and are quick. All the colours used will be listed below and in the video during my colouring process by the way. The best way I've found for me personally to use these markers is to work fast and in small sections. So you'll see in the video I work in little sections and that's the way I get the best results. I use the Tim Holtz Watercolour Cardstock - which I love because it's a bright white, not cream. But I find you have to work a little harder at these markers to get them to blend nicely, so then the way I do that is to use the steps I mentioned before and to use a damp normal paint brush, not a super wet one or a water brush (the ones that hold water within the pen). I honestly don't like water brushes anyway, so I generally just use a normal paint brush for all my watercoloring anyway. But that's just personally a way that works well for me.

So, back to the card. Once all my water-colouring was done I dried my images with my heat tool and then die cut them all out. Once they were all die cut I moved onto my background.


For my background panel I used another piece of Tim Holtz Watercolour Cardstock and used Distress Inks as watercolours. I started off with three colours - Cracked Pistachio, Peacock Feathers and Salty Ocean. For my watercolour backgrounds I like to do lots of layers and they progressively get darker and darker each time I do the layers. So I start off super light and messy, dry it. Do another layer, getting darker and filling in more gaps and so on until I get a look I like. Once the background was complete I then used some white mist for the look of snow. When the background was dry I trimmed it down to fit my card base and then stuck it down using a ton of adhesive, since it warped quite a bit.

For the border around my card I used a die by Mama Elephant from the Index Card set and used a piece of Neenah Solar White Cardstock, cut down to 4" by 5 1/2" and then centred the die within that piece and ran it through my Big Shot. I then used some foam adhesive doubled up and adhered that all around the edge of the frame. I then pulled out my Big Shot once again and I cut out two landscape pieces out of Neenah Solar White Cardstock one again and I used the Landscape Trio dies by Mama Elephant for that. Once they were cut out I adhered them on top of each other at different heights to create two snow hills. I then adhered the frame down over the card also.

I then arranged my reindeer, trees and accessories onto my card base also. Using foam adhesive and flat adhesive to create dimension. For the sentiment I went with a simple 'merry christmas' from an old Studio Calico stamp set called Cool Yule and stamped that on some Red Cardstock in some Versafine Onyx Black Ink and in hindsight I would have rathered heat emboss it in white, but I have no fine detail and it would have looked messy, so I went with a simple black. I then adhered that onto my card with foam adhesive also. As a last finishing touch I took my Wink of Stella Clear Pen and put that over top on some of the images and the card was complete.

The video is linked down below.



Thanks all for stopping by today and I hope you enjoyed my card.
I'll see you all next time for Day Twelve.
- Eloise

(I now try to link to products I use to Australian stores too. Most items I buy are from Simon Says Stamp which is located in America. But I know that not all people want to purchase overseas, so I now link to Scrapbook Boutique and Craft Online for Copic Markers so that you can buy here too. Not all products are linked to both stores because Australian stores don't always stock all the products I use. But hopefully this helps out a bit! SSS = Simon Says Stamp, SB = Scrapbook Boutique and CO = Craft Online) 


No comments:

Post a Comment